Lynx Creek (Walker Road), Prescott

Date: Monday, May 17, 2010

Time: 5:30-7:00 pm

Route: From Walker Road and Highway 69 in Prescott to the end of the pavement on Walker Road heading south.

Weather: Moderately windy, 70 degrees, overcast.

Riding Surface: Paved road, narrow to no shoulder, but light traffic.

Miles: 7.9 miles one way, 15.8 miles round trip.

Duration: 1 hour, 23 minutes.

My speeds: Averaged 11.1 mph, maximum 36.8 mph.

Note: Elevation gain of just less than 1,000 feet.

The Story:

Living in Glendale, Arizona (Phoenix area) and working in Prescott (100 miles away) certainly presents some logistic challenges in terms of job and residence. However, it also affords me some interesting and varied cycling experiences. At this time of year (late May), the “Valley” (of the Sun—that is, Phoenix) is already hitting triple digit high temperatures, while it is 15-20 degrees cooler in the mountains around Prescott. So when it is getting a bit hot to bike in Glendale, summer cycling in Prescott is very doable. (On the flip side, when it is snowy and icy in Prescott, it is absolutely awesome biking in the lowlands.)

Today's ride takes me alongside Lynx Lake and Lynx Creek via Walker Road. I park my car in the Petsmart/Costco parking lot at Walker Road and Highway 69. Today I ride my Cannondale F8 mountain bike, which I keep up in Prescott. It is my first ride of the season up here. It’s in the low 70s as I begin the ride, and dips into the sixties on the way back this evening.

On the way out (or should I say “up”), the road takes me quickly into the ponderosa pine forest. The wind is blowing this afternoon, and it’s actually difficult to tell if the sound is the wind through the trees or a car coming up behind me! The breeze is cool and refreshing, but unfortunately pretty much in my face as I start the almost 8-mile uphill trek, in which I will gain just short of 1,000 feet in altitude. A mile short of the end of the pavement, there is a sign that reads “6,275 feet above sea level.” At Milepost 4 (also four miles into the ride), there is a turnout for cars. I take the opportunity to stop, gulp down a half bottle of Gatorade, and take a breather. The going has been slow, but the scenery is well worth it. Traffic is light, as the only destination points along this road are people’s houses and cabins, to which they are returning to from work at this hour. I anticipate seeing some wildlife, perhaps some deer. But I must be breathing too hard and scaring them away!

My path cuts right through the Lynx Lake Recreation Area (so the signs tell me). I can’t see the lake from the road, but there are dirt roads leading to North and South Shore camping sites. The further I go up, the less traffic and more trees there are, and the more tranquil the ride becomes.

At Mile 7, a single lane bridge crosses Lynx Creek at the site of what used to be the town of Walker. During the height of the gold mining days, this community numbered over 3,000! It’s hard to imagine so many people crammed into this steep, narrow space along the stream. Several signs telling the story of the place are evident along the roadside. Just after Walker town, the road rises above the creek, revealing some beautiful vistas of this watershed. The pavement ends and dirt roads tee off to the right and left just over 7.8 miles into the ride.

A bit of physical labor was involved in getting up to this point, but as I catch my breath again and look around, I realize it was all worth it. It has taken me almost an hour to get here.

But now all that hard work is rewarded. As I point back toward civilization, my bike seems to propel itself. The road is fairly straight, completely lacking hairpin turns, so there is little need to brake. Traffic is non-existent. I have the pavement all to myself. Trees start whipping by in my peripheral vision. Even the rollers aren’t at all daunting from this direction; I reach the tops of them at good speed. During most of the ride down I’m clipping at over 20 miles and hour (without having to pedal much), and at one point my bike computer records 36.8 miles per hour. THIS is freedom!

I feel I’m in the wilderness until I’m just a quarter mile from my car. The ride down has taken me just about 20 minutes. I’m cool, refreshed and exhilarated. I will definitely do this ride again, maybe on my road bike.

Comments

Popular Posts