"Training Month"

Counting down the miles!
Done.

And just beginning.

This last month, both Kent and I have been putting in some serious "seat time" getting ready for our Big Adventure on the Anza Trail.  Until this last weekend, all Kent's time has been with his bike attached to his indoor trainer.  Now, you should not scoff at this.  Kent decided to put his trainer and bike in his "mud room," where his family sheds their coats and boots necessary to survive the long Canadian winters.  Thus, it is often below freezing in this room.  And, honestly, we have both concluded that riding a trainer indoors--hour for hour--is harder than riding on the open road.  Kudos to Kent!
Kent and I training.  Who is who?

 These last months in and around Prescott, Arizona, however, have been unseasonably warm.  Now, for those of you not familiar with the Southwest, that might sound a bit, well, "off."  Isn't it always hot in the desert?

Two notes of explanation.  First, Arizona is not all desert.  In fact, Carolyn and I are now living in Prescott, which is a mile high in elevation.  Today we have 15+ inches of snow!  We are surrounded by ponderosa pine, oak and juniper trees.  At a bit lower elevations, there are vast valleys of grasslands.

Second, the desert on winter nights gets very cold.  Even when I lived down in Phoenix, there were days where (at that time I thought) it was too chilly for an enjoyable ride.  "Hot" and "desert" don't always go together.  (I guess I've 'toughened up' a bit.  This last month on many of my rides I've left the house when the temperatures were in the thirties. Some days of riding it didn't get above the mid-50s.  Let's say I'm learning to "dress for the occasion.")

This, then,  is a brief log and comments on my "training rides" for the last month.  I haven't included time 'cycling' indoors (because, really, it's pretty boring! Unless, of course, you watch movies when you're doing it, which is what Kent does.). The times noted are actual riding times, and don't include stops for meals, photos, dying on the side of the road, etc.

Saturday, February 4:  I drove down to the Valley (metro Phoenix) and rode from Interstate-17 and Carefree Highway to Cave Creek Road, where I hooked up with a route called the Phoenix Sonoran Bikeway, which runs from the far north part of the Phoenix Metropolitan Area to South Mountain Park.  I rode to my sister-in-law's (Barb's) house in Central Phoenix.
     33.3 miles, 2 hours and 12 minutes, 15.1 mph average


Saturday, February 11:  Left my house and road north to connect with Williamson Valley to Outer Loop Road and back home via Highway 89, through Granite Dells.
     35.3 miles, 3 hours, 11.7 mph average

Descending into Granite Dells in Prescott, AZ
Friday, February 17:  Drove to the Verde Valley and parked at General Crook Trail exit.  Rode up Highway 260, which climbs onto the Mogollon Rim and the "high country" for Arizona.  I didn't realize it when I started, but I would ride for 20 miles uphill, gaining 3,000 feet of elevation.  It took over three hours to climb, and just one hour to descend.
     40.0 miles, 4 hours, 9.8 mph average

Friday, February 24:  From my house, I traveled a few miles to Senator Highway, and climbed about 1,700 feet to Groom Creek.  The elevation gained occurred in just 7 miles.
     14.7 miles, 1.5 hours, 10.0 mph average

Saturday, February 25:  While Carolyn was representing Yavapai College at an Early Childhood Education conference on YC's Verde Valley Campus in Clarksdale, I rode up Highway 89A to Page Springs Road, followed Oack Creek, then turned east on Cornville Road to Beaver Flats. I cut over on Highway 179 (just east of Oak Creek Village) to a gravel road east of I-17 that led to Montezuma Well., and then headed back to Cottonwood and Clarksdale.  On this ride, I found myself amongst a group of riders from Phoenix, out on a warmer-than-usual day.  One rider pulled up next to me and started chatting, then realized I wasn't with their group!
     57.8 miles, 5 hours and 12 minutes, 11.1 mph average

Coyote Flats Grill and Bar, Aguila, AZ
Sunday, March 4:  Put my bike in the back of my Toyota Corolla and coasted down the mountain to Congress, Arizona.  I then rode what I have termed "The Aguila Triangle":  Congress to Aguila, Aguila to Wickenburg, and Wickenburg back to Congress.  This ride simulated an "average day" on our trip.  I ate lunch at the Coyote Flats Bar and Grill, next to Burro Jim Motel.  Some desert wildflowers were out in early bloom, and the ride, which ranged from 2,000-3,000 feet in elevation, captured many varieties of desert flora (see photos).
     66.5 miles, 5 hours and 41 minutes, 11.7 mph average
In Aguila, AZ

Prickly Pear Cactus, 7 foot tall!
Desert Sunflowers

Saguaro Cacti
Mexican Poppies
Yucca Trees

Friday, March 9:  Rode from my house to Cordes Junction, at the intersection of Interstate 17 and Highway 69 and back.
They'll never catch me.  Ha!
     76.25 miles, 6 hours and 46 minutes, 11.2 mph average

Tuesday, March 13:  Traced the first part of my trip from Friday on Highway 69 to Highway 169, then cycled northeast to intercept Interstate 17.  Rode 15 miles on the interstate.  (Actually, I found riding on the side of the interstate to be more comfortable than biking on many of the local highways that have narrow shoulders!)  Had lunch at Cordes Junction and rode back on Highway 69.  This simulated the longest day on our trip.
     88.1 miles, 8 hours and 30 minutes, 10.3 mph average

Pedaling back to Prescott Valley on the way back home.
Thursday, March 15:  The goal for the next two days is to accomplish two long, back-to-back rides so my body can get used to recovering in a shorter period of time.  The last 10 days I've ridden about 250 miles, but have had a day or two in between to recover.  That won't be the case on our Anza trek.  We will be going eleven days straight, with just overnight recovery time, and no "off days" in between.

Today I rode from my house to the small town of Paulden.  There is an altitude lose of about 800 feet going out there, and a gain on the trip home.  It was pretty windy.  Today I tried out my new "saddle" (bike seat).  At first I wasn't sure about it, but at the end of the ride there was noticeably less stress on my bottom side.  That makes all of me happier. :)
     55 miles, 4 hours and 47 minutes, 11.4 mph average.

Site of the first Territory of Arizona Government, just north of Paulden.
Friday, March 15:  Last day of training today.  After this, I will do only short, easy "spins" on my trainer to keep my muscles loose, eat and rest well so I will be in as good a place as possible physically before we start our ride next Saturday.  Today I put my bike in the car again and rode to Paulden, where I went yesterday.  This time I headed further north, to Ash Fork, where I joined the famous Route 66 for a few yards, before heading back to Paulden.  The way up is a 700 foot climb, but I feel amazingly relaxed and ride well.  There is a strong crosswind that is slightly at my front on the way back, but after a piece of pizza at Ash Fork, I am rejuvenated and start riding again.  Twenty six miles later I am back at the car.  This was the most interesting ride scenery-wise I've had all week.  The change in elevation from 4,000 to 5,000 feet results in changes in trees and terrain.  Here, at the end of my training, I feel I'm ready to go.  Can't wait for Friday when Kent arrives, and for Saturday when we begin our Journey in earnest!
     52 miles, 4 hours and 19 minutes, 12.0 mph average.

Total Training (outdoors) in February and March:   546.2 miles

Hell Canyon, just north of Paulden, AZ

Route 66 and Ash Fork, Flagstone Capital of the U.S.A.



Comments

Popular Posts