June 27--Reflections on A Journey

"Tempt your sense of exploration."
                                            -Another Dove Dark Chocolate wrapper


We did.  And it was a blast.

The trip wasn't without its trials, errors and low spots, but that could have been expected.  Nonetheless, this was a trip of a lifetime.  It has been one of the most physically challenging tests, endurance-wise, that I have undertaken.  My mental, as well as physical toughness was challenged.  And probably above all, it was a great learning experience in so many different ways.

So, a few days removed from the finish, I offer these reflections.  They are, admittedly, mostly just the wanderings of my own mind.  But if you happen to be curious, you are more than welcome to listen in.

  • This trip confirmed for me why I cycle.  It's not just for the physical exercise or challenge, or the "de-stressing" which I find occurs whenever I mount.  It is the gaining of a new perspective, of seeing the world from a different point of view than "normal."  On my bike, I'm literally in touch with the earth and the elements.  There's no glass, metal, fiberglass or plastic shielding me from the Creation.  I actually see all the sights, hear all the sounds, smell the smells--both the fragrant and putrid: the wet redwood, the pungent and aromatic eucalyptus, the salty ocean, the musty forest, the fresh strawberries being picked, the fresh-mowed grass, the heavenly jasmine and gardenia.  One doesn't normally get any extended exposure to these stimulants in the protective cocoon of a motor vehicle.  The feel of the wind on my face, a sense of speed and vulnerability racing downhill, the self-prodding needed to make it up the hill--all of this happens in the saddle.  I suppose much of these same sensations occur when hiking, but the advantage of the bicycle is that one can cover much more ground without sacrificing the "raw-ness" of it all.  And all this still under one's own power--nothing gasoline or electric or manufactured to move me along.  It is still somewhat surreal to me that in the last two weeks I've covered over 800 miles and dozens of different ecological and cultural environments.  In my mind, there is truly nothing like being atop two very skinny wheels.
  • One of my big "take aways" from this journey is that I am grateful for my health.  I feel as fit as I have any time in my life thus far.  Modern medicine (a repaired heart defect from childhood, a new titanium hip in adulthood) has played a part in my condition, no doubt.  But the miracle and resilience and strength of the human mind and body is still one of the greatest miracles on the planet.
  • Having been raised in Southern California, with the occasional trip up to the Bay area as a kid, or to the Sierra Nevadas or Colorado River as a teen, I had a certain picture of California, some of it a big negative.  This trip reshaped that view, and I actually experienced parts of California I had either missed or ignored.  The Monterey Bay are and the Salinas Valley were both "new" discoveries for me.  I developed a renewed appreciation for what this State provides to the rest of the nation agriculturally after many hours of riding through farms and orchards and vineyards.  I also caught a glimpse of what those early Spanish scouts must have grasped as the potential of this land.
  •  If I were to do this excursion again, I would plan for three weeks instead of two, visiting one mission each day.  Not only were some days very long riding days, but I didn't get as much time as I would have liked at some of the missions because I was either rushed or the mission was closing.  There would have also been more opportunity to explore each community we stayed in, which would have been fun.  On the physical side, there would have been more recovery time.  I think one could do this in three weeks without a recovery day.  However, considering how I actually did the trip, the recovery in San Luis Obispo was essential.
  • I may have been able to complete the trek "unsupported"--that is, without Carolyn "following" me in the vehicle, but I'm sure glad I didn't!  Mainly because I learned so much about doing a trip of this magnitude, that now I have a much better idea of what it would take to attempt such a feat on my own.  The gratitude I have for my wife and her support cannot be overstated.  She deserves some kind of medal or honor.  She waited literally hours upon hours while I was pedaling my way towards my destinations.  Most of the photos you have seen on this blog are due to her care and skill.  She collected tons of information on the missions.  She put up with me, who most of the time was smelly and sweaty and tired and probably not very much fun.  Thank you, Love of My Life!
  • I'm not Catholic, but I do have a huge amount of respect and admiration for the faith, determination, perseverance, ruggedness and sheer GUTS of the Spanish missionaries of California during this era.   There were obviously mixed motives by all involved--the attempt of the Spanish crown to settle and consolidate their holdings for economic and political gain, the desire of the clergy to bring "civilization" and Christianity to the natives, the struggle between church and state.  It's a difficult tangle to unravel, but after this trip, I am willing to give the Franciscans the benefit of the doubt.  They certainly didn't do everything right, and there is no doubt that the Indians of California both suffered and benefited both from the friar's presence.  But they did the best they knew how, and I am less inclined to judge them for their failures than to applaud them for their resourcefulness and their many successes.
I'm sure other things will occur to me as think back on this trip.  I'll post one more time in the near future for those of you who are interested in a day-by-day account of the miles, time and routes cycled.  Thanks to all of you who shared this trip with me, and to those who offered comments and encouragement along the way.

Who knows what the next adventure may hold? :)


Silhouetted against sunset at Shelter Bay Marina, San Diego


Comments

  1. First off I think your wife deserves a medal of honor for sure! I think that when you talk about the smells and the specific details of the trip, it is the most amazing part to me. When you are totally alone and simply only have yourself to talk to, you will do an amazing amount of growing. Growing your views on new places and growing spiritually. I love this trip and I look up to you absolutely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts